Philip Wilson Arboriculture

Trees and wildlife

If you are contemplating tree work you may need a European Protected Species (EPS) licence if any protected species are present at the site. These include bats, which favour old trees, dormice in woodland understorey and coppice in south England, otters near rivers and great crested newts near long-established ponds.

For the likelihood of presence seek advice if necessary from the National Biodiversity Network (, County Wildlife Trusts etc.

If the works are likely to cause significant disturbance to a protected species, a licence is required. It has to be demonstrated either that the proposed works are compatible with the national Biodiversity and Forest Strategies, that the conservation status of the species concerned will not be adversely affected, or that there is no satisfactory alternative.

For further information, go to